Online Account Opening for Non-Members
Before applying for membership at Winston-Salem Federal Credit Union (or any other credit union), you must first determine if you are eligible to join, and if you are, by what method. Doing this before you begin your online application will save you a lot of time and might save you a lot of frustration. There are a variety of ways you might be eligible for WSFCU membership:
- Employer: If you are a current employee or a retiree of one of the below employers, you are eligible for membership. (Examples of proof: a recent pay stub or an employee ID card)
- Associated Artists
- Dairy Fresh
- Forsyth County Juvenile Justice Council, Inc.
- Forsyth Early Childhood Partnership
- Jones Apparel Group, Inc.
- North Carolina Black Repertory Company, Inc.
- North Carolina Municipal Leasing Corporation
- Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation (PART)
- Piedmont Craftsmen
- Senior Services, Inc.
- Southeastern Center for Contemporary Arts (SECCA)
- The Coalition for Drug Abuse Prevention
- Triad Municipal ABC Board
- Total Information Source
- The Little Theatre of Winston-Salem
- Winston-Salem Federal Credit Union
- Winston-Salem Housing Authority
- Winston-Salem Piedmont Triad Symphony
- Winston-Salem Transit Authority
- City of Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Organization: If you are a student or participant of one of the below organizations, you are eligible for membership. (Examples of proof: a student ID card, a registration statement, a recent pay stub, or an employee ID card)
- i-Tech Computer Training and Consulting
- The Sawtooth Center
- Union Cross Elementary
- Relationship: If you are an immediate family member of a current member or you live in the same household with a current member, you are eligible for membership. (Examples of proof: A note with information about the member you are related to. Please include the member's name, how you are related, contact information, and member number if known.) An immediate family member is defined as spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, stepchild, stepparent, stepsibling, adopted child, or any other legally recognized family relationship whether or not living in the same household. Household - is defined as persons living in the same individual residence and who maintain a single economic unit, including any person who is a permanent member of and participates in the maintenance of that individual residence and who demonstrates a degree of permanency and not someone who is visiting for a short period.
- Location: If you live, work, worship, or attend school in of the census tracts we serve, you are eligible for membership. Visit our WSFCU Census Tract Lookup page, and check your home address, work address, school address, and address of your house of worship to see if any of them are in one of our eligible tract codes. (Examples of proof: A document that shows you live, work, attend school, or worship in the census tract you selected. For example: a utility bill, a pay stub, a student ID, or a membership statement.)
If you have any questions about membership eligibility, please call us at 336-231-5100 during business hours and our staff will be glad to assist you.
What You Will Need
Now that you have determined you are eligible for credit union membership, to begin your online application process, you will need to have the following at the ready:
- Personal information including your name, address, and social security number
- Government identification such as a driver’s license, passport, state, or military identification card for each person who will be on the account
- Social Security Card for each person who will be on the account
- Proof of eligibility (see above for examples)
- If you would like to fund your account by transferring funds from another institution, you will need the routing number and account number of that account. Sorry, but we do not currently fund account via credit and debit cards. However, you will be able to fund your accounts by bringing a check, money order, or cash to our branch; mail a check or money order to us; having your payroll direct deposited; wiring funds into your account; or having an existing member transfer funds into your account.